A 20-year-old Detroit-based, core-values driven company committed to changing lives through energy efficiency by creating and managing customized energy waste reduction programs that help electric and gas utilities meet mandated energy savings goals.
Industry experience driven philosophy of energy efficiency as economic development helps families and businesses save energy and save money. Through innovative, inclusive initiatives, we help build communities by creating local jobs, producing sustainable energy savings for all rate-payers, and spurring the growth of diverse local businesses. Our operating philosophy is reflected in our core values. We refer to them as B-Hive.
B- Boldly Go
H- Humble Confidence
I- Inclusive Stewardship
V- Value Reputation
E- Extraordinary Experience
The Chief Operating Officer will provide the leadership, management, and vision necessary to ensure that the firm has proper operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and people systems in place to effectively manage and grow the organization. In this role, you will be responsible for ensuring financial strength and operating efficiency (reporting to the President/CEO).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Embrace and operate within the company’s s core values.
- Provide day-to-day core values driven leadership to all operations departments.
- Design and implement business operations strategies, plans, and procedures that drive the organization to achieve and surpass sales, profitability, cash flow, business goals and objectives.
- Represent the company and manage relations with clients, investors, business partners and vendors.
- Establish & implement policies that promote company vision and culture.
- Set performance and growth goals and successfully execute against KPIs.
- Participate in activities that will result in expansion (investments, corporate alliances, acquisitions).
- Evaluate team member performance by analyzing and interpreting metrics and data.
- Partner with CFO on financial projections.
- Monitor invoices from all business partners and control company costs.
- Work with the human resources department to develop and implement talent acquisition and management programs that enhance the business effectiveness.
- Motivate & engage staff to meet organizational goals.
Requirements: What you must bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, engineering or related field; or equivalent experience.
- C-Level Experience – minimum 3 years.
- Minimum 10 years operations management experience.
- Minimum 5 years account/relationship management experience.
Characteristics That We Value
- Energy/Utilities background.
- Proven experience in strategic planning and business development.
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written, oral, and client-facing communication skills.
- Experience in public speaking.
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance metrics.
- Proven experience with successfully managing complex budgets.
- Business acumen.
- Ability to develop and leverage relationships.
- Possess personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to corporate mission.
- Willingness to travel up to 50% of the time.
- Flexible and able to multitask; can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems.