OneTen is a coalition of leading chief executives and their companies who are coming together to hire, promote, and advance one million Black individuals who do not yet have a four-year degree into family-sustaining careers over the next 10 years. We take a skills-first approach, connecting employers with talent partners, leading nonprofits, and other skill-credentialing organizations to support the development and promotion of diverse talent. Ultimately, our vision is to close the racial wealth gap in the United States.
OneTen’s coalition has grown to include the support of over 70 companies across industries. Members include but are not limited to: Accenture, ADP, Allstate, American Express, Amgen, Aon, AT&T, Bain & Company, Bank of America, Cargill, Caterpillar, Cisco, Cleveland Clinic, Comcast, Deloitte, Delta Air Lines, Eli Lilly, General Motors, HP Inc., Humana, IBM, JPMorgan Chase, Illinois Tool Works, Intermountain Healthcare, Johnson & Johnson, Lowe’s, Medtronic, Merck, Nike, Nordstrom, PepsiCo, Roper Technologies, Stryker, Target, Trane Technologies, Verizon, Walmart and Whirlpool Corporation. These companies look forward to welcoming additional members, including small and medium-size businesses, which power the majority of the U.S. economy.
Through the creation of one million jobs for Black Talent over the next 10 years, OneTen has the potential to address persistent inter-generational gaps in opportunity and wealth by working to ensure that Black Americans with the skills and aptitude to earn success also have the opportunity to achieve success.
As a part of the OneTen effort, the Managing Director is responsible for pioneering market strategies across the key communities that OneTen operates in — building relationships, serving as a trusted partner, and driving results towards our ambitious goals. As a key leader in the organization, you will cultivate local partnerships that bring together employer-led demand and career-ready talent to build a thriving ecosystem of opportunity, collaboration, and support. As an early-stage OneTen team member, you will contribute to building a strong founding team culture and embrace the vision, mission, and values of OneTen.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
Market Strategy and Planning
- Oversee OneTen’s work in 4-6 high priority geographies across the country
- Understand market landscape and community dynamics to build a viable strategy that builds upon and strengthens the existing ecosystem
- Co-develop local strategy and implementation and work plan to capture employer demand and activate talent ecosystem
- Incorporate lessons and innovations from other regions to innovate, adapt, and continuously improve upon local work
Relationship and Partnership Management
- Manage relationship with local OneTen coalition employers to understand their local hiring needs; provide coaching and support to corporate partners to ensure that OneTen hiring goals are met; provide responsive, high quality customer service to corporate partners that results in high satisfaction
- Oversee local requests for partnership to identify key community partners and local intermediaries to serve as part of the extended OneTen team; manage related contracts and partnerships, with combination of accountability and support
- Partner with our local leads to build relationships with local stakeholder organizations (e.g., employers, local CBOs, talent developers, community colleges, faith communities)
- Partner with Chief Strategic Growth Officer and Market Ecosystem team to refine staffing and operating model for our work in communities
- Hire, manage, develop, coach, and retain local talent to execute OneTen’s mission
- Collaborate and communicate with colleagues across the organization to execute and deliver on behalf of key stakeholders in our markets
- Actively steward the matching and successful placement of talent into OneTen employer positions
- Set clear goals for the market and oversee the implementation of the local strategy to drive intended outcomes
- Contribute to design of indicators, metrics, and key data needed to quantify progress and success of hiring and promotions in each market
- Co-create market approach that results in significant engagement and commitment by local communities
- Manage and influence the contributions of others to drive near-term results and long-term outcomes
Skills and Qualifications
- Strategic and operational excellence: Develops strategies to operationalize and execute against a bold vision. Determines necessary sequence of activities and efficient level of resources needed to achieve short- and long-term goals. Ability to juggle competing priorities while staying organized and focused
- Team building: Successfully builds teams and stewards culture. Provides clear and direct feedback to others in order to improve performance. Ability to receive and act on feedback from others. Strikes balance between autonomy and support as a manager. Lives the values of OneTen and integrates them into one’s daily work
- Relationship building: Builds deep and trusting relationships, with ability to influence and inspire multifaceted partnerships and collaborations. Works collaboratively to ensure alignment
- Problem solving: Successfully identifies and frames problems and uses logic, judgment, and data to evaluate, influence, and implement solutions to achieve desired organizational goals or outcomes
- Accountability: Assumes responsibility and ownership for successfully accomplishing work objectives and delivering results. Sets high standards of performance for self and others. Able to acknowledge mistakes and learn from them
- Adaptability: Adapts quickly to change and considers new approaches. Embraces ambiguity, displays confidence with navigating complex situations, and excited to create new systems/processes that support growth. Ability to thrive in a fast-based environment
- Communication: Listens, speaks, and writes to enable mutual understanding between oneself and others. Able to effectively synthesize complex ideas and communicate them clearly. Credible with corporate and community audiences
- Cultural competence: Displays the skills to work effectively with others from diverse backgrounds. Ability to bridge interests of others and lines of differences and translate across stakeholders if needed
- Travel: Ability to travel as needed to meet with OneTen team or community partners